Let go gracefully and your next life or work transition may go more smoothly. Even though it is hard to do, “letting go”—when done well—can make all the difference in your end results.
In fact, if you don’t let go gracefully and in a healthy way or you refuse to let go at all, it is much more challenging to move forward after a time of change in your life. This is true regardless of whether that change has occurred at work or in your personal life.
Here are 10 ways to let go gracefully.
1. Acknowledge the change in your life.
2. Name it for what it is.
3. Identify what you are letting go off.
4. Reflect on how letting go of those things makes you feel.
5. Record positive memories of what you are leaving behind.
6. Allow yourself to grieve this loss.
7. Rely on your strength of character, your spiritual beliefs, and your past successes to recognize this change is just a place on your journey.
8. Be courageous and trust yourself to make a new start.
9. Lean on your support system of trusted family, friends, and colleagues.
10. Identify yourself by who you are not by what you do.
Do as many of these as possible and you will be able to let go gracefully and with much more confidence in yourself and what is yet to come.