Life is constantly changing. Few things stay the same. This means that you and those you love will experience many transitions during your lifetime. Always believe in yourself in times of change and transition.
Many of the changes you will experience are external. You will have little or no control over them. What you will be able to control is how you react and deal with your new circumstances. How you respond is a direct reflection on how successful you will be in your transition and your new beginning after a change. It all starts with believing in yourself.
It’s easier to believe in yourself when you consider your past successes. What skills have you used in the past to make change easier or smoother? What have you learned about yourself that you can apply in the current situation?
Whether you are experiencing a minor change or a major shift in your life circumstances, you must believe in yourself to transition successfully. For example, imagine that you are facing one or more of the following life or work transitions
• Beginning a family
• Creating a life for yourself after the death of a loved one
• Dealing with ongoing pain
• Getting married or remarried
• Going back to school
• Leaving a bad relationship
• Managing a chronic condition
• Moving to a new home
• Starting another career
• Taking a new job in another state
• Treating a life-threatening disease and addressing quality of life
If you believe in yourself, you will break old patterns of behavior like
• Letting problems stand in the way of your happiness and success
• Making excuses
• Negative self-talk (or allowing others to speak negatively to you)
• Not finding time for what matters most
• Unwillingness to do the hard work required
When you believe in yourself, your confidence grows and you have the courage to face change, take on new challenges, transition to a new place or stage in life, and then enjoy the benefits.